• Home
  • Destinations
  • Booking
  • Hotels
  • Deals
  • Events
  • Activities
  • Giveaways
  • Blog
  • Business Guide
  • Log In
  • Join For Free
  • Shopping Cart
  • How to Get a Puerto Rico Marriage License

    December 01, 2016 by Sandy Malone

    • Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Addthis
    • Comments [

    Getting married in Puerto Rico is much, much easier than all the random websites that proclaim to be "up-to-date" and accurate might make it seem, because they all have different information. The truth is that the vast majority of informational websites out there have the wrong information. So just ignore them, and follow my instructions below. As of 12/01/16, this information was correct and accurate.

    First off, you have to use a minister who is licensed by the government of Puerto Rico. Having a friend ordained online won't cut it for the marriage to be legally registered on the island (as well as in many stateside jurisdictions now). So make sure you have somebody who is registered with the Hacienda office do your actual paperwork.

    You must bring the following documents with you to a Puerto Rico demographic office up to 10 days ahead of your wedding date:

    - Driver's Licenses
    - Passports if you are not U.S. Citizens
    - Copies of your birth certificates
    - Copies of your driver's licenses (needed for whomever will be picking up copies of your marriage license after it is filed)
    - Copies of any divorce decrees or death certificates from previous marriages
    - Letters from each of your doctors saying you're in good health to get married, dated within 10 days of your wedding date.
    - A notarized affidavit saying you are residents of your home state, dated within 10 days of your wedding date.
    - $150 stamp purchased from the colecturia office to pay for the license

    There are demographic offices and colecturia offices in almost every municipality, but many couples find that taking advantage of their stopover in San Juan to get the paperwork done is a huge bonus during their destination wedding weekend. The offices in the graphic below are experienced in dealing with destination brides and grooms, and are happy to set up an appointment if you'd like to call ahead.

    Only the bride and groom have to go to the demographic office, but they must get all their paperwork back from the clerk, along with the license, and give it to their licensedofficiant for their Caribbean wedding. After your wedding ceremony, the couple and their witnesses will sign the license, and the minister will file it with the demographic office within 10 days of the wedding ceremony.

    Once the paperwork has been filed, copies of the marriage license may be purchased for $10 each (in stamps, of course). Your minister, or another designee, can pick it up for you, but they must have a signed release from the wedding couple, and copies of the couple's driver's licenses. The release can be obtained from the clerk when you get your marriage license at the demographic office. I suggest you get the stamps for your copies at the same time you purchase the one for the actual license, to save time.

    Unless you're a resident of Puerto Rico, there's no bloodwork required for getting married. And there's no residency requirement, other than you have to be on the island to get your marriage license before you actually get married. But that's just a matter of good wedding planning!

    Caribbean BlueBook, Exclusive Travel Deals, Become a Member
    Direct flights from Miami to Martinique on American Airlines
    • Customize Search:
    Most Recent
    ©2019. Caribbean BlueBook LLC. All Rights Reserved.