Roti is an unleavened flatbread that originates from India and many other Asian countries, but is also popular throughout the Caribbean. Due to the great influence of Indian and Asian culture in Trinidad, roti is extremely popular on the island. The Indo-Caribbean population of Trinidad serves up roti in the traditional flat bread style or stuffed with curry, which has become a prominent street food dish. Here’s how you can make the delicious Trinidadian “roti wrap” right at home.
Ingredients for Curry Chicken:
2-3 pounds boneless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 can chickpeas
2 tablespoons ground turmeric
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon coriander
1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 hot pepper seeded and finely chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
Ingredients for Roti:
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for cooking roti
1 cup water
Directions for Curry Chicken:
1. Cut boneless chicken into bite sized cubes.
2. Combine ground turmeric, crushed red pepper, cumin, coriander, ground cloves, ground ginger, yellow mustard seeds, ground black pepper, ground allspice, ground cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of salt.
3. In a bowl, combine the chicken, 6 tablespoons of the mixed spices and 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 20 minutes.
4. In a deep pot or dutch oven, heat the remaining vegetable oil and saute onions, garlic, ginger, thyme, hot pepper and remaining mixed spices, until onions are translucent.
5. Add chicken into pot and saute for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Add remaining salt.
6. Add chicken broth, coconut milk and chickpeas to the pot and bring to a boil. Let ingredients simmer for about an hour or until sauce thickens. Stir in cilantro and season accordingly.
7. Add a scoop of the curried chicken to the center of the roti and fold all sides over the filling to form a neat square.
Directions for Roti:
1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
2. Combine water and oil and add mixture to the dry ingredients.
3. Mix ingredients with hands to form dough. Knead until dough is smooth.
4. Divide dough into 6 balls and set aside for 2 hours, covered with damp cloth.
5. Lightly flour a flat surface, and roll each ball of dough into a thin 9” circle.
6. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet and dough. Cook for 1 minute or until brown spots show on bottom. Repeat on opposite side.